Wednesday, September 20, 2023
12:30 – 2 p.m.
REGISTER for the 2023 Disability Voting Webinar, and stay informed on the state of voting rights for people with disabilities.
- 12:30-12:35: Opening remarks discussing the importance of local elections, accessible voting and any news from the Secretary’s office. Bridget Murphy from the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s office
- 12:35-12:50: Overview of voting policy and advocacy across states and at the federal level. Topics will include John Robert Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, The Freedom to Vote Act, Voter Suppression across states, and different advocacy efforts from other REV UP groups and voting rights groups across the country. Alexia Kemmerling, REV UP’s Coordinator for state efforts
- 12:50-1:00: Q&A
- 1:00-1:30: Discussion of specific organizations’ services, work in voting rights and current or upcoming advocacy and legislative projects and how voters with disabilities can engage with their work. Representatives from Common Cause, League of Women Voters of Massachusetts, Stavros and the Provider’s Council’s CareVote Initiative
- 1:30-1:40: Q&A
- 1:40-1:50: Overview and update on the state’s electronic accessible vote by mail system, how the system works in local elections and the importance of being aware of and utilizing accessible electronic vote by mail. Tatum Pritchard, Disability Law Center
- 1:50-2:00 Q&A
- 2:00-2:15 Close of main Webinar and short break before Polling Place Survey Training
- 2:15-3:15: Training presentation on how to recognize accessibility violations at polling locations and report them in real time to Disability Law Center with a new detailed survey tool. The training will also teach attendees how to fully survey and monitor polling places in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Help America Vote Act, so that volunteers can help Disability Law Center in their mission to keep voting in Massachusetts accessible for everyone. Tom Murphy and Emily Almeda-Lopez from Disability Law Center